Active Social Learning Experiencing
The Healthy Living Programs Department is here to help you live your life to the fullest while at OSCR. To achieve this, we offer a wide range of programs/activities to help you reach your own personal goals, while simultaneously getting you comfortable with your new home and friends. We offer physical, cognitive and social programs/events at OSCR on a daily basis. Most months we organize bus trips, based upon client’s requests, to encourage independence and socialization outside of OSCR. All of our programs are open to the public and we love it when a client’s family or friends stop by to participate in the fun!
Your feedback is important as we strive to offer new exciting programs. Quarterly focus group meetings and our well-loved suggestion box ensure that we are providing high quality client-focused services.
The Heathy Living Team considers each other family and we strongly believe our philosophy translates to you, our clients, creating a comfortable environment. We are always willing to go the extra mile and live up to our mission statement “Client Focused Services”.
“I think the Healthy Living Staff are wonderful! I can’t say enough about the Healthy Living Programs. I even tell my family about them. People who don’t attend programs are really missing out." – Mary
Programs and Activities
There is no age limit to enjoying life to its fullest! At OSCR, you can enjoy a wide variety of activities and programs including:
- Live music, entertainers, sing-a-longs, karaoke
- OSCR movie nights
- Day Trips
- Annual Special Events: Canada Day Celebration, Fall Festival, Hallowe'en Celebrations, Christmas Bazaar and more
- Game days and nights - euchre, Bingo, cribbage, bridge
- Newcomers Group - a great way for new clients to mix and mingle with established clients - make new friends and learn all about OSCR
- Friendly visits and pet therapy program
- Art programs - sketching group, arts & crafts, painting, knitting and crocheting
- Shopping - along with shopping trips, there are opportunities to shop on-site at OSCR. Enjoy Candy's Corner gift shop, OSCaR's Place cafe, OSR Pharmacy
- Education - enjoy guest lecturers, health seminars, current events discussions, trivia, intergenerational sessions, and hearing/dental information sessions
- Clubs & Groups - Book Club, Biography Club, Mysteries of the World Club, Healthy Living Programs Focus Group meetings, Current Events, News and Views discussion group
"I just wanted to THANK YOU so much for a lovely day yesterday (our Spring blossom bus tour and lunch at the Lakehouse Restaurant). I know a great deal of planning was put into this effort and I want you to know it was A++ . Way to go!" - Lillian
Fitness and Wellness
Keep fit, be well and be as active as you care to be by participating in fitness and wellness activities that energize, motivate and are a lot of fun.
- Guided walks to enjoy the local community, get some fresh air and explore nature
- Take up Zumba - a great fun program specially designed for seniors
- Chair Yoga - improve flexibility, strengthen core muscles and breathe
- Community provided programs: Physiotherapy exercise classes, Falls Prevention classes, Tai Chi classes, Osteoporosis exercise classes
- Hearing screening
- Laughing Yoga
- Virtual Visits
OSCR offers an on-site spiritual centre, which is available for private prayer/meditation and services are offered for specific faiths/denominations as requested by those who live at OSCR.
- Religious services
- Bible study
- Hymn sings